Sha Booya

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Homework?? The World is Coming to an End!

On Sunday my pastor had a really good service. It was a definite wake up call for all of us. He talked about being ready for the end times. He didn't focus on the spiritual part so much as the practical part, and it was really interesting. If an emergency were to happen and you had to evacuate, could you leave your home in one hour? Oh sure, that's easy, I thought. But actually when I got home and started looking at all the stuff I had, it was a little overwhelming. What would I grab and what would I be able to live without? How could I leave my house in just one hour? Well he asked us this question. He talked about some of the troubles going on today in the world, like the spreading of the bird flu, earthquakes, and hurricanes. Then he showed us a duffle bag he bought from the flea market and suggested that we make ourselves an emergency bag just in case we ever did need to leave our home in a hurry. Store it in your closet or car.
Later that day when my mom and I got home from our outings, dad said that there was a storm forming and could become a strong hurricane going straight into Tampa. I was like, ok... time to make my emergency bag now. I was really amazed. Did the Lord really just give us a head's up and to make sure we're prepared? Mom already had some bookbags she bought so we started making the bags up. Mine still isn't completely ready, but almost!
Well it is a hurricane now and it looks like it's going more towards the keys, but it's hard to predict at this time it's direct path. It's still going to cover the whole state it looks like. So that's whats been on my mind lately. Even if nothing really happens, it's just a good knock on the head that things are happening and not only should we be spiritually ready, but it's time to start mentally preparing ourselves for future emergencies. Everyone pack your bags!

6 Comments:

  • At 3:53 PM , Blogger Booker said...

    I think I could fit everything I truly needed on my body-wallet, pda, and my diabetes stuff, which I can carry in one hand.

    But I bet extra things like clothes and stuff would be nice too. Maybe a book and some crackers.

    Am I correct in guessing that the initials of your pastor end in Jr? :)

     
  • At 5:51 PM , Blogger Marie said...

    I was surprised to see Wilma has been catagorized as the worst Hurricane... like the strenght of it...can't remember the exact wording, just read about it on the web...
    My word tons of hurricane's etc... Does seem like the last days huh?
    I "feel" pretty safe here, but we're inland...also I know this area has a fault line... learned about it when I was a tour guide at Skyline Caverns...any one say "earthquakes?"
    What's some of the stuff you packed in your emergency bag?

     
  • At 6:48 PM , Blogger Shay Dawg said...

    Yes, good ole Jr... and I packed a towel, sheet, extra clothes, flashlight, batteries, paper, pens. I think that's it so far. I'm still working on it.

     
  • At 7:16 PM , Blogger CKS said...

    Chuckle, chuckle, chuckle. Good ole JBJ.

     
  • At 10:37 PM , Blogger melrandall said...

    Under that tutelage, your church is going to be like a well-trained drill team in any emergency situation. I hope you don't need to use that duffle of disaster... but I'm impressed at your being so prepared! Don't forget some trail mix (and maybe a can of pumpkin pie filling, since you never know...)

     
  • At 9:24 PM , Blogger Claire said...

    Okay, I have heeded your warning and my bags are packed. In fact, at this moment, ALL my earthly possessions are packed...and headed down south!! AAAAAAAA!!!!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home