Sha Booya

Thursday, November 10, 2005

Hurray!


Victory! I feel happy and relieved at this moment. Scary assignments are finally behind me. First of all, I survived the girls dorm just fine last Friday. We did nothing to do with Star Wars. It was a fun night spent with friends, and after curfew more and more girls came into the room I was staying in. I think there were up to 7 of them in the room and the youngins kept me up until 2am.
This has been an interesting week. The annual Fall Banquet is tomorrow, so the whole week is themed around it. Monday was twin day, Tues was "Girl be nice to Guy day," meaning the girls have to do something nice for whoever they are going to the banquet with. It was funny to watch all the girls swarm around the mail room with their chocolates and little notes with ribbons tied around them. Then there is hillbilly day. Then today is "Guy be nice to Girl day." Such excitement in the air. I wish you could hear the sarcastic way I just said that in my head. So lets talk about the important stuff...our last football game was on Tuesday and GUESS WHAT!!! yeah, we lost. So the football season is now over and next is what I've really been waiting for...GOLF! That starts in a few weeks.
Today I gave my last and final speech! It's been a burden on me for a month now. It was fun though. I started with my opening sentence, then my teacher is like, "Hold on, don't start yet" oops. Then I started over again and the projection died and I lost my powerpoint. So I had to start yet again! The class and I got a laugh after I said, "I read in the St. Petersburg Times..." for the 3rd time. When everyone is done with their speeches the class will pick 4 finalists and then we split into groups and do a group presentation. So we'll see....
And the last cool thing that happened was me and a kid were talking and I was telling him how I kept the sabbath and a few other things that our church do. Now he wants to have a bible study about the sabbath (he thinks it would be a good practice, think of that!) and did Jesus really keep it. He says that Jesus never did, and if he did then it was only until he died on the cross and then no one had to keep it anymore. This is what the whole school believes. So if you have any suggestions on what I can say or look up in scripture just let me know. I have ideas of course, but maybe you can point something out that I haven't noticed before. Sometime soon I'm also suppose to talk/have a bible study with some of the girls about courtship. What fun.

9 Comments:

  • At 6:28 PM , Blogger Booker said...

    Just tell him you can murder on mondays now, instead of never :)

     
  • At 3:09 PM , Blogger drewey fern said...

    What biblical basis do they have for saying that Jesus' coming meant no more Sabbath?! What a dreadful idea.

    As far as verses that back up Sabbath keeping, how about the 10 commandments, and the verse about Jesus coming not to abolish the law or the prophets but to fulfill them (Mt 5:17). They might use that latter one against you, though. Hard to tell.

    But I think if you can get them to tell you why they believe what they do, that will give you a starting place for arguing your point.

    Ho hum. Silly people:)

    Happy Almost SABBATH!

     
  • At 3:09 PM , Blogger drewey fern said...

    PS. I love your "Hurray" picture! I remember that feeling very well:)

     
  • At 4:39 PM , Blogger Shay Dawg said...

    thanks Drewey =)

     
  • At 4:54 PM , Blogger Marie said...

    hmm...isn't there a verse about it doesn't matter which day you keep so maybe it points to that -a day should be kept...or is that too weak an argument? Yeah since Jesus came does that mean I can kill and steal cause I'm not under the law...if I still can't kill, and commit adultery, than why is it okay if I forget the sabbath. Where does it say that any of the 10 commandments are null and void...

    Isn't there prophecy somewhere that says God will take away the sabbath from people...than we believe in the restoration...and the sabbath has been given back to us. And we can share it with others. It's a very healthy thing to keep...and it blesses God's heart because we are "opening" a gift that He gave us.

    There's scripture I think in the New Test. about how the sabbath was made for Man, Jesus I believe says that...now alot of Christians keep Sunday...but that was actually instituted by one of the "church" fathers...because he was jeolous of the Jewish people, he even changed the calender to what it is today I believe. So God didn't change the day that was kept, man did actually! If you wanted me to I could possible even find that passage in the book I read it in and e-mail it to you...up to you.

    Courtship! Yeah! need any thoughts:);) have fun! That's cool that people are interested in these things, the sabbath and Courtship. Two important things to me:)

    That's my 25cents worth! Hope you don't mind too much;)

     
  • At 11:21 PM , Blogger TripleNine said...

    Two ideas. Sorry but I'm too lazy to look up the references.
    The disciples eating grain on the Sabbath, and
    Jesus going into the temple to read on the sabbath.

    Ditto to the others.

     
  • At 10:14 AM , Blogger Claire said...

    Also- Jesus said He was "Lord of the Sabbath." If the Sabbath was going to be done away with, why would He have said that? By saying that, it sounded like He thought the Sabbath was a pretty important thing.

    I'd be surprised if they thought there wasn't a need for ANY Sabbath. Maybe it's just the whole Saturday instead of Sunday thing that they're hung up on. Maybe you could get a hold of one of the Sabbath books somehow- you know- the ones that have readings for every week? Ask Mr. Brown, maybe...

     
  • At 2:35 PM , Blogger lis said...

    Way to go, Lisita! I don't have any clever thoughts at the moment, but will pray that the Holy Spirit will keep His promise and help you! ;O)

     
  • At 3:30 PM , Blogger Shay Dawg said...

    Thankyou all for your input. I did "Thy Kingdome Come" the other night and I was reminded of all these different points. And the word Sabbath does throw them off, but it doesn't matter because they don't keep a day of rest either way. Those who I have talked to never really noticed these things that Jesus said about the Sabbath before. When I brought up the 10 commandments one guy said that Jesus stated everyone except the sabbath one. I said, well that's just because that one is just a given. Ha ha. I'll have to keep looking into it.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home