Sha Booya

Saturday, June 18, 2005

What Not to Wear

I don't know if any of you watch the show, "What not to Wear" on TLC, but I had my own episode with my father. Mom and I have been telling dad lately that it's time to throw out them old, holy clothes. We talked him into going shopping on Friday for Father' s day (his dream come true). Dragged him to the car and headed towards the mall. We went into sears and headed towards the jeans. He didn't say one word. He only groaned a few times as we threw some jeans at him. He quietly followed us up this row, down this aisle and around a few corners. We couldn't find what we wanted until I saw only 5 pairs on a rack and luckily found one his size. Another groan released as he scooted his way into the dressing room holding a pile of pants and a sail boat t-shirt. I felt like I was on the show "What not to Wear". He came out of the dressing room and we either told him what was good or what just looked like his same old clothes that didn't fit.

We decided that he needed some new shoes now. He said that he only had one hole in them and they weren't that bad. He put his finger in the hole in front of about 5 people standing in the check out line. It was kinda embarrassing, and then he refused to put his shoes on so he walked to the shoe section with holy shoes in hand walking on his mismatched socks, that also had holes all over! Phew, we made it to the shoe department. The first shoes he tried on he liked and they worked, Praises be! See dad, it wasn't so painful to go shopping after all. When we got home mom and I went straight to his jean pile and started tossing them out. Actually, alot of them looked in style, they had the worn out lines in the front, the faded dirty look going on and holes at the knee. Now my dad is stylin, actually not quite yet. He won't wear any of it until Monday, the beginning of the week. It's a conpulsion thing. Then when he goes to work his co-workers will yell with delight, "Noss! Look at your new clothes! Get down with your bad self!" Happy Father's day.

10 Comments:

  • At 8:48 AM , Blogger Booker said...

    Wow. Your dad must be made of iron or something. If I had a wife and daughter who forced me to go clothes shopping, let me tell you, the whole world would know just how much "fun" I was having...

     
  • At 8:59 AM , Blogger Claire said...

    LOVED this entry, Lisa. We especially loved - and laughed very hard about- the line about what his coworkers would say to him. Somehow I just can't imagine your dad getting down with his bad self. You should follow him in to work with a videocamera just like they do on the "reveal" of those makeover shows...

     
  • At 12:14 PM , Blogger drewey fern said...

    Bravo Lisa! Continuing to make the world a better place, one person at a time:) Great story!

     
  • At 4:19 PM , Blogger TripleNine said...

    Your post makes me glad that I'm safely single away from all female family members. Even though, I probably enjoy shopping more than my sister, so I'm probably safe either way. I'de love to see your dad 'get down with his bad self' it would make a trip down worth it.

     
  • At 8:25 PM , Blogger Brad said...

    Lisa, I just have to say that for the last couple of days since reading about your dad getting down with his bad self, I have erupted with laughter many different times. It keeps popping into my head and amusing me to no end. Thanks.

     
  • At 9:56 PM , Blogger Booker said...

    Bradley also says

    "PorkChops Rule", and "Forever"...

     
  • At 2:18 AM , Blogger Kate said...

    Derrick, you are so weird.

     
  • At 6:59 PM , Blogger KJ said...

    You make me laugh Lisa! I love you so much and miss you!

     
  • At 8:19 PM , Blogger Booker said...

    Bradley would also have said "Yo, yo, yo Homey!" & "'sup cracker?" if he had thot about it...

     
  • At 9:50 PM , Blogger melrandall said...

    Here I am to comment on your blog!!! Thanks for sharing "the rest of the story" with me. hahaha...I love your dad. And YOU, for that matter!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home