Sha Booya

Sunday, April 09, 2006

One week ago....

So I've been wanting to write about this but haven't had the chance quite yet. Last Saturday night Mom, Dad, Robbie, Sharon, Katie and me went to this Christian coffee shop for "Open Mic Night" that they have the frist Saturday of every month. You already know where this is going! Well my dad and Robbie went to this last month and my dad got up and played a few of his songs. He did the same this time, played and sang 2 of his songs. Well I was already thinking about trying to sing something before we got there. A guy who works there started to walk around the room asking for people to sign up to sing or play something. He got to our table and I was still a little scared but I asked if I could see the songs they have available for karoke. I saw "I'll fly away" on there and thought it was the hymn because I know that some modern day christian groups sing it, but I didn't reckonize the group FFH. The guy came back a few minutes later and said that he would sign me up and if I didn't want to do it then I didn't have to (yeah right!). So after a hour or so it was my turn to sing. I told them my name and where I was from and that I went to college. They started to play the song and it definately wasn't the hymn. So, kinda embarrassed, I had to tell them to stop it and because it wasn't what I thought it would be. Well they asked me what I wanted to sing and they got out a hymn book. Then one guy got up on the stage to play the keyboard, one guy got on the drums, and a lady came up to be my back up singer! It was pretty exciting. So I "sang" and I told people to have mercy and to sing along..please. So people sang along, clapped their hands and shouted some nice things. What an adrenlin rush. After I was done they wanted me to sing something else but I couldn't decide on another hymn under so much pressure so I got off stage and headed towards my table. People cheered and shook my hand as I went back to my seat. There weren't alot of young people there, maybe 3 others my age and a few kids that Katie played with. It was alot of fun and I plan on going back next month, this time prepared with at least 2 songs.

11 Comments:

  • At 8:01 PM , Blogger Claire said...

    Woohoo! Go Lisa! That is an awesome story! You are so brave.

     
  • At 8:18 PM , Blogger Booker said...

    Wow, you're braver than I'll ever be :-) Good job...

     
  • At 9:28 PM , Blogger melrandall said...

    !!!!!! WOW !!!!!!!!!!!! You are so full of surprises... Aww -- I can just see you being all witty and cute and everyone loving you... I wish I could have been there.
    You're my hero!

    Don't let Uncle Joe get wind of this or you'll be the official QHC solo choir.

     
  • At 9:53 AM , Blogger Avalanche Cowpoke said...

    WAY TO GO LISA!!! I am in awe of you!!! So whaddaya going to do next?!

     
  • At 3:02 PM , Blogger Shay Dawg said...

    hmmm..i'm gonna have to think about it. Anyone have any suggestions? If I want the drummer up there again it's gonna have to be something upbeat...what hymns are considered upbeat hymns?

     
  • At 3:02 PM , Blogger Shay Dawg said...

    hmmm..i'm gonna have to think about it. Anyone have any suggestions? If I want the drummer up there again it's gonna have to be something upbeat...what hymns are considered upbeat hymns?

     
  • At 5:49 PM , Blogger Marie said...

    you could always sing Amazing Grace... a favorite, do you know any choruses? even like Jesus loves me with drums could be interesting... google hymns.... you could pick a slow hymn and speed it up.
    I very much enjoyed your story that's awesome! Sounds like fun. You may be a singing diva after all;) "Who knew that all along Lisa lou craved the love and worship of admiring fans!"

     
  • At 8:10 PM , Blogger CKS said...

    That was hilarious! I loved the part about telling them to stop because you didn't recognize it and how embarrassing that must have been. hahaha. I dunno, the Woodpile Song is pretty upbeat.

     
  • At 5:47 PM , Blogger Booker said...

    LOL @ Asa...

     
  • At 11:16 PM , Blogger Zaccheus said...

    Hey, guess what I failed to do today--you guessed it, look at those videos...so I have a date with my computer tomorrow afternoon after I get severely beaten by my physics test to look at those videos and post a new blog!

     
  • At 7:22 PM , Blogger TripleNine said...

    Here I thought walking around in flaming pajama pants was brave. Way to go Lisa! I don't think I would ever even attempt to do something like that.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home