Sha Booya

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Art...My New Direction?

Well folks, only 9 more days and I'll be through with my first year of college. It's been a pretty good year, but maybe I can expound on that later. This week is "dead week" where there aren't suppose to be any tests (even though I have one Wednesday) or big papers or anything due. You just simply study for your exams, which start Saturday and go through to Wednesday. Then it's all summer fun from then on out. Well...no exactly. I was searching around today for places that were hiring, but no luck. I'm going to take a painting I class in Ybor at the community college. I decided that I need to take some kind of art class, just to see if that's something that I would like to concentrate on. Because really, this scattered academic thing isn't working for me. I feel at this point that I need to be focused on one subject and I'm realizing more and more (or being reminded) that I'm a visual person and maybe I should just focus on art. Yesterday, for example, I was having dinner at Olive Garden. I went to the restroom and when I walked into the bathroom I was thinking how the tiles were sorta bland, and if I would ever want something like that in my bathroom. Then I decided that I would if I had some deep red flowers in there to accent the copper color on the walls...Ahhhhh! Ok...it was at that point where I was like, ok...I think I need to give art a real try. My eyes have way more fun then my brain. So art has always been an interest of mine, and I was so into it during my high school days, but then it sorta wore off when I got to bible school. So everyone...I'm diving back in! We'll see how it goes. One problem is that I'm half way to getting my AA degree and it seems silly to stop now. So i'll probably get my degree, then move on from there to whatever I feel led to do. And hey, just for the fun of it, I'll tell you some of my art history. It all started when I was 13. I just wanted to see if I would like painting, so I got a picture of Van Gogh's starry night, and painted it. I spent hours and hours in my room painting this thing. After that I signed up for painting at school. Then one of my very few accomplishments in life happened. When I was a senior in high school, my art teacher suggested I enter into a high school art contest that was to take place at the Tampa Museum of Art. So I gave it a shot. The teacher and I built a huge canvas in class and I took it home and prayed that I would know what to paint on it. I tried a landscape, but I didn't like how it was turning out. So then I used a picture I took of some roses and painted that. It was submitted into the museum and then hung up for all to see. It was pretty exciting. I didn't win anything, but I was just happy to see my own work hanging up in the Tampa museum. The summer after high school I went to San Francisco to attend a high school art program where high school kids spent 6 weeks in the city going to the Academy Art College and taking 3 classes. I took painting, drawing, and photography. It was ALOT of fun. It was great to walk all around the city with my big ol' art board looking like a real artist. Those 6 weeks really helped my skills, especially in the drawing area. Well then it was off to bible school. I had an occasional burst of inspiration...like asking Elizabeth to be my model and painting her outside, having an art class with some of the girls by painting a bowl of fruit, and the drawings for the school yearbooks.
Well, I didn't really know where this post would go...but it all led to art. Here are just a few of my thoughts and I'm trusting God to lead me in the right direction.

8 Comments:

  • At 2:23 PM , Blogger Marie said...

    Hey I get your vibe... I love art and am also very visual... Your rose painting was really cool.

    I'm actually thinking about going into ART education. We'll see where that goes, or doesn't.

    I think i told you about the drawing class I'm taking.... It ends tomorrow... sigh... I've really enjoyed it.

    For my last project I have to draw part of my face... with at least one eye and part of my nose... we'll see what angle I do and everything.

    Probably start that tonight. If we lived closer we could do some art together.

    I'd like to take a painting class sometime... never have:)

    Yeah I agree with your changing focus... that you should try ART, what the hooyey you totally redid your house! So you are artistic and can be driven... you are able to complete the job and do it well.

    I also like things to work, in interiors, like some places I won't like as much if they are kinda ugly, old fashioned etc... like some resturants.... For real.

    I love beauty and I enjoy putting things together to look good... I believe you are the same way in some ways... wonder where we got it... what part of the fam did we get it from?

    Hope I can catch you sometime on IM again...

    ART OUT DUDE!

     
  • At 5:05 PM , Blogger Shay Dawg said...

    Wow, thanks for the thoughts Marie. I don't know where we got it from..my mom isn't quite sure either. But you probably got it from your grandmother. I'm glad you had fun in your drawing class, I really enjoyed my drawing class in san fran, even more then the painting class. Well anyways..have fun!

     
  • At 7:48 PM , Blogger Claire said...

    Thanks for the update, Shabooya. I am excited for you! Wish I could join you in your class this summer. Sounds like a ton o' fun.

     
  • At 8:16 PM , Blogger Booker said...

    cool beans. nothing like finding something that really resonates. Hope it works out :-)

     
  • At 9:19 PM , Blogger TripleNine said...

    Hope you are led to exactly the right classes. I realize that they are very similar, but some of your previous posts and then this one, made me wonder how you would do in interior decorating.

     
  • At 10:12 PM , Blogger Shay Dawg said...

    yeah..interior decorating has always been in the back of my mind. I really enjoy decorating my house, but it scares me thinking about decorating anyone else's and living up to their expectations, but who knows.

     
  • At 2:50 PM , Blogger Avalanche Cowpoke said...

    YAY for Art!!!

     
  • At 7:15 PM , Blogger melrandall said...

    Here I am like 17 weeks later to say YEAH! GO for it! I'm so glad you're going to take that class this summer... now you need to finish redecorating your garage as a studio. (I bet that would be a super fun place to draw in the summer in Florida)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home