Sha Booya

Monday, August 08, 2005

Just call me Miss Fix It

Well since I can't seem to easily go to sleep let me tell you my little adventure with the VCR, getting chills yet? Earlier today I scrammbled online in desperation to see if any fix it man was on. Last night I was watching..well i'm afraid to say it because then you all will think for sure that i'm totally obsessed...uh, just use your imagination. So anyway, I was watching this movie on Saturday and stopped it because we were going to church game night, woo. Oh and may I just add that I was Doctor Bob in mofia, outlaw, or whatever you wanna call it, and the outlaw shot two people and then I picked those same two people right after wards. Make any sense? I don't know but everyone else was impressed. So, back to the story. I was going to watch it later that night and turned on the tv. It just made a strange noise and then the tv just shut off again. It did this everytime I turned the stupid thing on. Well the video was stuck, and this was a video that I rented from the library! So I had these dreaded thoughts of paying $200 worth of bills for late fees, damage fees, getting the video stuck in your tv fees. So then today I remembered that the video was still stuck and it wasn't just going to unstuck it's self (can I use that word?). So that's when I came online and online 2 people were on and one said to e-mail Brad and maybe take the tv apart. The other just plainly said, "Open up the VCR." Oh yeah and there was, "Why are you still living in the stone age?". Take it apart eh? Well it was the only way to steer clear from the $200 dollars that I didn't have for some old 70's movie. So I unplugged the tv, brought it out to the living room and told my mom, "I'm bringing it out here just in case I get electrocruted." She laughs. So I start unscrewing all these screws and pulled it apart. Mom started helpping after a while. Dad finally comes along and says,"What are you silly girls doing?? Let a man do his job!"......oh ...wait, that's not what he said excatly. It was more like, "Well I need to get out and do something, think it's too late to go to the park?" Then he was off. So, hopelessly left alone, we were on the verge of giving up. The tape just wasn't going to come out. Then with one last prayer I yanked some part, I don't know, and wondered if the wires could unsnap or not. They could of course and now we could have better access to the tape. Well finally we got it out! HURRAH! It was victory at last.
I was looking at all the tv parts on the living room floor and asked my mom if we could just throw it in the trash. It was only the backroom tv and it had been seeing better days. Well she encouraged me to put it back together, just to see if I could, she said. Well I did...and it doesn't work. Now that I think about it, don't call me Miss Fix It because I didn't fix anything. All I did was tear apart the tv and get a tape out. Sigh, but that's the best I can do i'm afraid.

7 Comments:

  • At 7:57 PM , Blogger Booker said...

    Hey, you have courage to tear apart a tv, no matter how old. that is cool. YOu could call yourself "the kind of fix-it girl". How does that sound? haw haw haw[that laugh was suggested by elaine sandford, so blame her].

     
  • At 8:59 PM , Blogger drewey fern said...

    Yay Lisa! I'm so impressed! Even if it doesn't work now, you accomplished your main objective. And you also reminded me of the time I got a library CD out of my CD player using such things as a hanger, tweezers, nailclippers, and needle nose pliars. My CD player didn't work after that either... UNTIL I used my Dunkin Donuts card on its insides! Now it works great:) Ah the joys of nonmechanical mechanics.

     
  • At 9:25 PM , Blogger Shay Dawg said...

    LOL, I don't know how you got it to work again with your dunkin dounuts card but it's pretty funny. Yay, one more and I get a free coffee!

     
  • At 3:46 PM , Blogger Cara said...

    good story. made me think of how once i took the movie tape/reel thing out of it's casething and put it into a blank movie case from which i'd taken the blank reel. it was quite the procedure! but not nearly as amazing as yours!

     
  • At 9:19 PM , Blogger CKS said...

    Why didn't you dump the whole TV in the library return slot? That's what I would have done. It's their video. You returned it. If they want it out of the TV let THEM get it out. No late fees for you.

    But I am impressed with your daring dissection of tv guts. It shows talent! Maybe you should go to med school and become a surgeon. Or, well, you could at least do euthanasia.

     
  • At 12:16 AM , Blogger KJ said...

    What a great tale! Instead of telling you how much I enjoyed your story on IM (since I'm talking to you), I decided to leave the comment here so you (and the rest of the world) can read it and be happy that I too enjoyed your story and was impressed with you somewhat mechanical abilities!

    I used to take apart my $1.00 watches in my dad's shop and sometimes I could put them back together after fixing them, but other times I wasn't so lucky. :)

    Even if you didn't get the VCR to work again you at least saved the lives of the people in Moffia! Good work!

     
  • At 6:32 PM , Blogger Claire said...

    Ha! I was amused to see that Craig came up with the solution that I was thinking of as I read this...! And as I read Kimberly's comment, for a second, I thought she said she took apart $1,000.00 watches in her dad's shop and I was like, " WHAAAAT?" and had two simultaneous images in my mind. First, Uncle Tim as a jeweler, and second, a weird vision of Uncle Tim as one of those shady characters who hang around in alleys and sell watches in a suspicious manner. Okay. Weird, I know.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home